Saturday, June 29, 2013

Saturday @ Starbucks #17: Discussing Genres~ Paranormal Romance & a Vanilla Frappuccino

Saturday @ Starbucks is a weekly feature hosted by Starbucks & Books Obsession.


This week's topic is: 
Most Anticipated Releases for 2013 and Home Brewed Coffee

Drink of the Week: Vanilla Frappuccino
It is super hot here in Seattle this week so I wanted to spotlight a cool and refreshing drink. I love blended frappuccinos, especially in the summertime. I love the creaminess of the beverage, like a shake, with the coffee flavor and of course the caffeine. 


Book Topic: Discussing Paranormal Romances
Recently, I discovered a passion for New Adult novels and that seems to be all I read anymore. I honestly don't think I will ever get tired of them. However, before I discovered the NA Genre, I was reading a lot of paranormal romances, especially YA. Even though NA has become my new passion, I still love to throw in a paranormal every once in a while, especially from a series or author that I love. 

One of the things I like about paranormal romances is the fantasy behind it. A human is always falling in love with a supernatural being or supernaturals from opposing worlds are falling for each other. It is the forbidden romance that makes it so enjoyable. I also love the variety in the Paranormal genre. There are Nephilium, aka Angels & Demons, Vampires & Werewolves, Witches & Mystical creatures, Aliens and Immortals & Deities. I think out of all the sub-categories, Witches & Mystical creatures are my favorite. I love the idea of magic and there is something so romantic in it. My least favorite would be Vampires & Werewolves. I have never really been able to get into  Vampire books much and I have yet to find a Werewolf series that has really captivated me. 

Despite my move away from young adult, paranormal books, I have a few favorite series and I will check out any book by these authors.

Nephilium (Angels & Demons)

Stained Series by Ella James
I was in love with this series from the first book and I have read the entire series twice. I absolutely love Cain and how protective he is of Julia. They are meant to be enemies, but they prove that love prevails.

 Vampires  & Werewolves

Captive Series by Erica Stevens
I'm not really big into Vampires & Werewolves but I did love the Captive series, which is a Vampire/Human series. Vampires rule the world and humans are their blood slaves. Braith is a member of the royal vampire family but he falls hopelessly in love with Aria, his human blood slave.

 Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater
This series is the only werewolf series I have read so I don't have anything to compare it to. It is actually kind of sad and has a depressing tone but I do like Grace & Sam.


Witches & Mystical Creatures

Witchling Series by Lizzy Ford
I absolutely love the Witchling series. This is a little bit darker and the magic is treated in a different way that is very unique. I love the way the author focused the first 2 books on Decker and Summer and the second 2 books will be his twin brother, Beck's story.
Aliens

The Lux Series by Jennifer L Armentrout
There really is no contest on this one. Daemon is one of the hottest YA characters out of all categories and the books are absolutely tremendous.

 Immortals & Deities

The Covenant Series by Jennifer L Armentrout
Love the Covenant series and Aiden. The writing is fun and the dialogue is so entertaining.

 The War of Gods Series by Lizzy Ford
This series is all about Immortals on earth from another realm, here to protect humans from the Black God, and his followers, who are all vampires. Each book centers around one of the male gods finding their mate, human women with unique supernatural abilities. It is so fun to see these women soften these men!

 What about you? Do you like YA Paranormal? If so, what are some of your favorites to read?

Next Week: I will be on vacation for the holiday so there will be no Saturday @ Starbucks next week. I'll be back on July 13th with Adult Novels.




7 comments:

  1. I love paranormal and NA books. I haven't tried many YA paranormal and will take a look at some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so-so about paranormal. When they work for me I love them like Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I heart this book. I did enjoy Twilight too but others leave me cold. When a series gets lots of attention and good reviews then I'll check it out but I don't think this will ever be my favourite genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this article just reminded me of how much reading I need to catch up on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YA Paranormal is fun. I have become an NA Addict and I don't see that going away but they are fun to mix in every once and a while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love it but since I have discovered new adult and a passion for that, I read less paranormal and am not as into it as I was before. I need to check out Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I'm glad I could inspire you to get caught up :-) I will never be caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love paranormal. Bunch of ones here I haven't read! More things to read! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!