Saturday, November 16, 2013

ARC Review: For Real by Chelsea Cameron

For Real
(Rules of Love #1)
Author: Chelsea Cameron
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: November 14, 2013
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Source: eARC via Inkslinger PR

~Synopsis~
Two people. One fake relationship. What could go wrong?

When virgin Shannon Travers gets fed up with her friends demanding that she find a boyfriend, she enlists the help of tattooed, mohawk-rocking graphic design student Jett. He’s more than happy to play along with their Fake Relationship, including the Ten Rules of Fake Dating that control-freak Shannon comes up with. Even if he likes to violate them. Repeatedly.

But what happens when Fake Dating starts to feel… not fake anymore? Will Shannon be willing to let go and embrace the first thing in her life that’s ever felt REAL?



~Review~

This is my first full length Chelsea Cameron novel and after what I saw she could do in a novella, I was incredibly excited to read this one. I definitely wasn't disappointed. There is something about her writing style that I honestly can't explain but really, really enjoy. She creates these characters that really stand out and are each unique in their own ways.

Shannon is smart, hard working and determined to climb the corporate ladder to money and success. She doesn't have time for a relationship and she isn't really looking for one. She's never met a guy that really interested her or gave her all the feels. She's still a virgin and it doesn't bother her because she's more focused on getting through college and working towards a career. That is until she meets Jett. What starts out as a fake relationship to get her friends off her back may turn into something she never expected.

Shannon is the kind of MC that I adore. The inner workings of her mind is hilarious and I found myself laughing more than a time or two from some of her thoughts. She isn’t a naïve, innocent virgin. The right guy just hasn’t come along for her and she isn’t actively looking. When she meets Jett, she is surprised by how different he makes her feel. It was so funny to hear her thoughts when it came to Jett.

“I want to ask him to take his shirt off, but that would be rude and kind of awkward and totally weird.”

The “Fake Dating Rules” that they came up with were cute and I loved how Jett basically defied every one of them. Even though Shannon called him out on it, she secretly liked that Jett wanted to touch her and kiss her and spend time with her even when they were alone. Shannon was definitely falling for Jett and even though she couldn’t see it, I could totally tell that Jett was into Shannon too. The longer they “pretended” to be together, the more real it began to feel and when they ended this whole charade and shared their feelings, I was squeeling with excitement.

“No, I don’t want it to end in a week. I don’t want it to end… at all.” The silence at the end of his sentence makes me swallow hard.

Even though I could tell Hazel, Shannon’s best friend, cared about her, she bugged me a little. She pushed Shannon really hard about losing her virginity and dating and then when Shannon was seemingly happy in a relationship, she kind of acted jealous. Her friends pushed her over the edge and I was glad to see Shannon stand up to them. Javier is Jett’s roommate and friend and I wasn’t sure what to think of him when he’s first introduced but he was actually a really good guy and I liked him a lot. He was a good friend to Jett and he definitely had a soft side to him.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I am a sucker for “fake” relationships that turn into something real and I love these types of storylines. I felt myself get butterflies in my stomach right along with Shannon as she fell in love with Jett. The plot in this book wasn’t real deep but that worked for me here because the characters had personality and really stole the show.

~IPOD Picks~
“Skip to the Good Part” by He is We
“Truly, Madly, Deeply” by Savage Garden


PURCHASE LINKS:

*An eARC was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and unbiased.*


4 comments:

  1. I like the sound of Shannon but the friends bug me too. What is wrong with concentrating on your career as long as you are happy, I don't see why they have to push her so she feels the need to fake a relationship. The writing sounds great though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up a copy of this on sale the other week, it sounds cute so I'm looking forward to reading it but like Trish said what is up with the friends in these books? So interfering, it just bugs me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon was such a cute, fun character. Her friends were a bit nosy and pushy but she puts them in their place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was pretty cute and I liked the way the main character is written. I agree, peer pressure is not cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!