Sunday, August 11, 2013

Novella ARC Review: Keeping Her by Cora Carmack

Keeping Her
Losing It #1.5
Author: Cora Carmack
Publisher: William Morrow
Publication Date: August 13, 2013
Genre: New Adult/Contemporary

~Synopsis~
Garrick Taylor and Bliss Edwards managed to find their happily-ever-after despite a rather . . . ahem . . . complicated start. By comparison, meeting the parents should be an absolute breeze, right?

But from the moment the pair lands in London, new snags just keep cropping up: a disapproving mother-in-law-to-be, more than one (mostly) minor mishap, and the realization that perhaps they aren't quite as ready for their future as they thought.

As it turns out, the only thing harder than finding love is keeping it.



~Review~

I absolutely loved Losing It from the moment I started the book and Bliss is one of my favorite female MC’s. I also adored Garrick and the relationship between him and Bliss. That being said, I was so excited to have a chance to read Keeping Her and get a little more of these two.

Bliss and Garrick have been together for a year now and they are going to London so Bliss can meet his parents. Bliss is a nervous wreck and while Garrick keeps telling her that she’ll be great and his mom will love her, he knows that his mom will be difficult. He tries to hide it from Bliss but she isn’t foolish and she can see right through his reassurance. Bliss has a lot of insecurities and they are evident in this book but I don’t blame her because Garrick’s mom is a real treat.  She is kind of cold and definitely judgemental towards Bliss. However, I love the way Bliss doesn’t let her intimidate her and holds her own. In the end, I think she just may win her over.

“When I saw her name on the caller ID, it was like seeing the Dark Mark hovering above my apartment.”

Garrick hasn’t been back home in 8 years and we learn that he didn’t leave on the best terms with his parents. His dad is very goal oriented and puts a lot of pressure on Garrick to be somebody he’s not. He doesn’t waste any time with his antics and is already putting the pressure on when Garrick and Bliss arrive. It was really interesting to get a little peak at Garrick’s family and a little background on what led him to Bliss. I also really liked meeting a couplf of Garrick’s friends in London and found them both fun and refreshing. They were quite the crackup.

As a novella, this wasn’t long enough to develop a full storyline but it was still able to add a little drama to their lives. Bliss and Garrick experienced another bump in the road that threatened their almost perfect relationship. However, they proved their love for each other and they overcame the chaos together.  I loved the dual POV and getting into Garrick’s head a little bit. I’m only sad that it wasn’t longer. I could take a whole other novel with Bliss and Garrick.

“She was my everything—the lungs that allowed me to breathe, the heart that had to beat, the eyes that let me see.”

~IPOD Picks~
“You Make It Real” by James Morrison
“Fireflies” by Ron Pope



*An eARC of this book was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and unbiased.*

Thank you Eidelwiess, Inkslinger PR and Cora for providing this ARC.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna read this! Faking It is on my to read list for my break. =) It's so funny because I was counting down the days til Faking It came out, I bought it pretty soon after it released and I STILL haven't had time to read it. Haha! I want to read before we go to the signing!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one and have more Garrick and Bliss in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!