Monday, April 8, 2013

Review: Apollyon by Jennifer Armentrout

Apollyon
Author: Jennifer Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press

(This review may contain spoilers if you haven't read the first 3 books)
Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.
****************************
Alex has finally awakened and the connection between her and Seth is too powerful to fight. However, Aiden refuses to give up on her and knows that only love is more powerful. There is only one way to stop Seth without killing him and Aiden and Alex race to discover the way to stop all of the destruction before it is too late. Secrets are discovered along the way and the struggle to maintain hope is tested.

Oh my, there are no words for how I feel about this book. Actually, there are and I am about to spew a whole bunch of them. The relationship between Alex and Aiden was so open and out there in this book and I was giddy with excitement. Finally, after 3 books of Aiden brooding over his feelings for Alex and trying to deny them, he had finally given in and let them openly flow. He was so sweet, attentive and caring for Alex and he didn't care who knew about his feelings. He was willing to do anything and give up anything for Alex. The love that Alex holds for Aiden saved her and proved that love conquers all. She evolved so much in this book as a character and matured so much. In the previous books, she was a little self centered and immature but she really grew up in this book and learned to control her emotions and actions so much better. She became an even stronger character.

There was so much action in this book but there were also plenty of tender moments between Alex and Aiden. I also really enjoyed the development of Alex's relationship with the other characters, especially Marcus and Lea. There were a couple of unexpected twists throughout the book that definitely kept me on my toes. There was also a lot more interaction with the Gods in this book and I really liked that.

I laughed, I teared up, I sat in the corner rocking back and forth after it ended because I need the last book. So many emotions rolled through me during this book. At one point, I had this feeling in my chest, like all was lost and evil might win. I haven't had this feeling since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I will be counting down to Sentinel and can't wait to see how it all plays out in the end. It will be bittersweet and I will be sad when it is all over but equally glad to have final closure. It all ends in December.


IPOD Picks:
"Lego Houses" by Ed Sheeran
"Try" by Pink
"Wake Me Up Inside" by Evanescent


Sources:
Synopsis: Goodreads
Cover Photo: Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Glad this one lived up to your expectations, Chelsea :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith! I have been waiting for this one since January so I am glad that it was everything I hoped it would be.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!