Thursday, April 18, 2013

Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K McElderry Books


In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.
***********************

This book was so amazing and I was surprised by how much more I could fall in love with this series. Sometimes the middle book in a trilogy is lacking but this series is only getting better. It was shrouded in suspense and I could not put this book down until I finished.

I am equally torn between Jem and Will. They are both so different but are magnificent male characters, each in their own way. I loved that there was more interaction between Jem and Tessa in this book and I got to see her fall in love with Jem like I got to see her fall in love with Will in Clockwork Angel. Even though Tessa is in love with both men, she is so noble about it and I love that about her. She could never dream of breaking anyone's heart and she is so strong and brave with the decision that she makes. I also truly admire the love that Will and Jem have for each other and the fact that one would sacrifice their own happiness for the other's.

The plot in this book is so incredible and I find myself loving this series for it just as much as the characters. It is one of the most intricate plots of any book I have ever read and I feel like I can really imagine the scenes in my head as they play out  It is so well written and the mystery surrounding what Tessa really is only continues. We also get to learn more about Will's past and his own personal mystery is finally solved. I loved the addition of the sub-plots involving Sophie and the Lightwood brothers. The way the author writes from multiple POV's allows us the opportunity to see how all of the characters are affected by what is happening. As the plot thickens, more shocking twists are revealed and I think the author does a magnificent job of truly surprising me. I am so glad I started this series after it was completely written and released because I would have gone mad having to wait for Clockwork Princess after the cliffhanger this book left on.
************************
Qoutes:

Will leaned forward. The firelight made odd patterns against his skin, darkening the bruise on his cheek to black. "I do care what other people think," he said with a surprising intensity, staring into the flames. "It's all I think about--what others think, what they feel about me, and I about them; it drives me mad. I wanted to escape--" ~Will (Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare)

Tessa's heart had begun to beat very fast. She sat down, rather suddenly, on the edge of her bed. She felt faintly sick. She remembered Gabriel's sneering jibe about the Lightwood's finding "employment" for her; having been to the ball at their house, she could imagine little worse. ~Tessa (Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare






Sources
Synopsis: Goodreads
Cover Photo: Gooddreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!