Wednesday, November 13, 2013

ARC Review: Off the Market by Magon Vernon

Off the Market
(12 NA’s of Christmas Novella)
Author: Magan Vernon
Publisher: Beautifully Broken Books
Publication Date: November 1, 2013
Genre: New Adult
Source: eARC via Inkslinger PR

~Synopsis~
Etta Davis didn't have showing a house penciled into her Christmas plans, but with the other realtors already off enjoying their holiday, she'd been stuck with the task. It wasn't all bad though, the house up for grabs used to belong to the family of her high school sweetheart, Andrew Lawson. Though now dilapidated, thanks to its current owners, it still held the power to bring back forgotten memories and turn the routine showing into something else entirely. Particularly when Andrew shows up, wanting to buy the house. Now Etta must decide whether a second chance is worth taking the house, and her heart, off the market.


~Review~

Sometimes writing a review for a novella can be hard because they are so short and they can’t always develop a full plot or character connection. While I really enjoyed Off the Market and found it to be cute and charming, I would have liked a little more character development.

Etta and Andrew were high school sweethearts but she broke up with him to go off to college, breaking his heart. Two years later, she’s back in their hometown and working as a real estate agent. When she goes to show a house on Christmas Eve, it turns out to be Andrew’s family’s old house and Andrew happens to be the perspective buyer she’s showing too. Can Etta win back the heart she broke two years ago?

I liked Etta and Andrew but there wasn’t really an opportunity to get a handle on them. This novella focused more on the romance and the storyline which worked for me. I liked the interactions between Etta and Andrew and it was definitely steamy. I felt like they may have moved into their relationship again rather quickly. After 2 years apart, they didn’t waste anytime and I think both of them have probably changed a lot since them and it may not be realistic to reconnect the way they did in one night. However, I really liked the romance and the dual POV.

Overall, I enjoyed Off the Market and found it to be a cute Christmas novella. It was quick, easy and a nice little fireside read for the holiday spirit. I really like Magan Vernon’s writing and this book was no exception. If you’re looking for a fast dose of holiday cheer, this novella is for you.

~IPOD Picks~
“Under My Tree” by N’Sync

“This Christmas” by Straight No Chaser




PURCHASE LINKS:

MAGAN VERNON’S AUTHOR LINKS:

*An eARC was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions expressed are my own and unbiased.*



4 comments:

  1. Novellas are definitely the hardest to write reviews for, there is only so much you can talk about. This sounds like a cute read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, this was a hard one to write because it was cute but just didn't have much depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is the kind of novella that put me off novellas in the first place! Too short to make a connection with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree- novellas are SO tricky to write! But I've seen some really well done ones. I'm glad you thought it was cute, but I might hold off on this one for now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!