Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Armchair BEA Day 2: Part 2 Discussing Fiction Genres


If you’re a reader of genre fiction do you have a favorite author or series? And what keeps bringing you back for more fantasy/sci fi/horror etc? And if you don’t read one (or more) of these genres what is it that deters you from those sections of the bookstore? I’m also curious to hear why you think these genres often don’t get the recognition they deserve.

When it comes to fiction, I am a genre hopper. I have to admit that right now my favorite Genre is New Adult. I have fallen in love with this genre and it seems to be all I read right now. However, I do not discriminate. I love to read dystopians, young adult, contemporary romance, adult romance, thriller, historical fiction. I would probably say that the only genre that I rarely read is sci fi because I have never really found it interesting but I am willing to read it if I find a good book that catches my eye. I don't really have a favorite author because I love so many! Some of the authors that I have read everthing they have written include: Jennifer Armentrout, Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines, Sandra Brown, Patricia Cornwell, Nicole Williams, Addison Moore, Erica Stevens. These are just to name a few but I love so many more authors out there.

Here are a few of my favorite books from my favorite genres.

New Adult


Young Adult


Dystopian


Paranormal


Contemporary Romance



15 comments:

  1. I've never heard of light in the shadows, but I love me some contemporary romance. I'm gonna have to check it out!! I'm horrible and have yet to read divergent too, but I promise It's gonna happen this summer!!

    great post!

    Amber
    Paradise of Pages">Armchair BEA

    Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a good book. It is the second book, the first book is Find you in the Dark and it is so amazing too! I have so many books on my list that I haven't got to yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hop around too, I just get bored if I don't. Contemp NA, YA and thrillers are my firm favourites though. And like you when I like an author, I buy everything they've either written. We are a publishers dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it is nice to change it up with a different genre here and there but I agree that Contemporary, NA and YA are firm favs for me. We are definitely a publishers dream haha! I buy the books based on the author alone if I like even 1 of their books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma @ Words And PeaceMay 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM

    I have to say I have not yet read any New Adult. as a lover of history, which title would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you really like historical fiction, I would recommend Ann Rinaldi's books. They are YA novels but they are excellent, I have loved everyone I have read. My favorite is Finishing Becca and is set during the Revolutionary War and revolves around Benedict Arnold. The Fifth of March is really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still not sure about new adult. The "new" books that fall into this category might not be my thing... however, I think there are some old ones that would fit into it, now that it exists, and I have enjoyed many of those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma @ Words And PeaceMay 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good term for it -- "genre hopper." I guess I'm one too. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently started reading a lot of new adult as well but I have to keep switching up the genres a bit. And yes, after reading the Lux series I went straight through and read every single JLA book. haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica MangicaroMay 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM

    So every book you listed I either have read or can't wait to read! LOL! I love coming over here because you always have the best NA recs! I love genre hopping though. I never get bored this way!

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since New Adult is a newer genre, it can be hard to determine if a book falls into that category or not. It probably isn't for everyone. I love books that make me blush a little but also really pull on my emotions. That is probably why this genre is for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to meet you too Annette! That is my middle name :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been reading mostly New Adult lately because it is an addiction I can't beat :-) I throw a different genre in there once and a while but I have blown my Kindle up with NA books lately so they keep sucking me back in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, thanks! Well I read enough of them right? Haha and I my purchasing addiction at Amazon has caused me to blow up my kindle with a crap ton more lately :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!