Monday, May 13, 2013

Review: The Vincent Boys & The Vincent Brothers by Abbi Glines

The Vincent Boys & The Vincent Brothers (Extended & Uncut)
Author: Abbi Glines
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: December 18, 2012




Ashton is getting tired of being good, of impressing her parents and playing ideal girlfriend to Sawyer Vincent. Sawyer is perfect, a regular Prince Charming, but when he leaves town for the summer, it’s his cousin Beau who catches Ashton’s eye. Beau is the sexiest guy she’s ever seen, and even though he’s dangerous, Ashton is drawn to him.

Beau loves his cousin like a brother, so the last thing he wants to do is make a move on Sawyer’s girl. Ashton is off-limits, absolutely. That’s why he does his best to keep his distance, even though he’s been in love with her forever. When Ashton wants to rekindle their childhood friendship in Sawyer’s absence, Beau knows he should say no.

Ashton and Beau don’t want to hurt Sawyer. But the more they try to stay away from each other, the more intense their urges become. It’s getting way too hard to resist..


Lana has lived her life in her cousin’s shadow. Ashton always made perfect grades, had tons of friends, and looks model-perfect. And she’s always had Sawyer Vincent—the only boy Lana’s ever wanted—wrapped around her finger. But now things are different. Lana has a chance to make Sawyer see her, and she’s taking it. If only he’d get over Ashton—because Lana is sick of second-best.

Sawyer’s heart is broken. He’s lost his best girl to his best friend. And then Lana comes to town. Ashton’s cousin has always been sweet and soft-spoken, but now she’s drop-dead gorgeous as well. Sawyer doesn’t know if Lana can heal his broken heart, but spending time with her might at least make Ashton jealous.

What starts as a carefree fling becomes a lusty game of seduction. Sawyer and Lana may have different motives, but their scintillating hookups are the same kind of steamy. . . 
********************************
I really enjoyed reading The Vincent Boys & The Vincent Brothers but there were a few things about the plot that bothered me as well as some character flaws that lead to my 3 star review.

I wasn't a huge fan of Ashton or Beau. I liked that Ashton had finally decided to be her own person and not let everyone dictate who she should be. However, I didn't like the way she went about it. She only opened up her real self to Beau but continued being someone else around everybody else. I disagreed with so many of the decisions that she made and it made it difficult to connect with her character. Beau was your typical bad boy and while I liked the way he truly loved Ashton, I didn't like the way he pursued her or the decisions he made with Ashton. However, I liked that he never pretended to be someone else and that he was willing to put every thing on the line, including his relationship with Sawyer, to do the right thing and be honest. 

While I loved the fact that Beau and Ashton rekindled their friendship and discovered the true love they held for each other, I am not a big fan of cheating in a story line because it makes it hard for me to fully invest myself in the romance. I did like the little twist added into the story that I wasn't expecting and I was satisfied with how the book concluded.

As far as Lana and Sawyer go, I wasn't anymore impressed or connected with them than I was with Ashton and Beau. Despite Sawyer being the perfect Vincent boy, I think he showed some of his true colors at the end of the first book and definitely in this book and I think it actually made me like Beau more. Lana was a little to desperate and obvious to me. She was always so quick to jump to conclusions and she had serious insecurities. Even though I think Sawyer needed to move on from Ashton, I felt like his sudden all consuming love for Lana was a little too realistic, especially considering his lengthy relationship with Ashton and his love for her. I liked the conclusion of this book and I liked the epilogue, which gave a satisfying closure to the series.

I did enjoy reading the books and I love Abbi Glines writing. I think she did an excellent job on writing and developing the plot and characters. However, I had too many issues with the characters and the plot is not a favorite topic of mine. Overall, I read the books quickly and still love Abbi Glines and her writing.
*******************************
Favorite Quotes:

"I swatted her hand, horrified that my grandmother had admired Beau shirtless. She chuckled. "What?" I'm Old, Ashton baby, not blind." I could only imagine how Beau looked shirtless and sweaty."~ The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines

"I forgot to breathe as I stared up at him. He looked torn between fear and longing. The sweet guy I'd fallen in love with years ago was there, but he was underneath the other guy he was slowly changing into." ~The Vincent Brothers by Abbi Glines

IPOD Picks:
"We Belong Together" by Gavin Degraw
"I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz
"Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars
"It's Time" by Imagine Dragons




Sources:
Synopsis: Goodreads
Cover Photo: Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!