Saturday, May 11, 2013

Saturday @ Starbucks #10: Discussing YA Contemporary Novels & a Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino

Saturday @ Starbucks is a weekly feature hosted by Starbucks & Books Obsession.



To join in, just re-post the topic and  link back to the host. Grab a cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate and do a post on the topic.

This week's topic is:
Discussing YA Contemporary Novels & a Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino

Drink of the Week: Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino 
So it has been like summer here in Seattle this week and it is 1/2 price frappuccinos from Starbucks between 3pm to 5pm until May 12th. I decided to try the new Caramel Crunch Frappuccino and it was to die for. It is definitely not good for my waistline but it is a caramel lover's dream come true. It is pretty sweet but the caramel crunch sprinkles are amazing!



Book Topic: Discussion Young Adult Contemporary Novels

One of the things that I want to do with this feature is use this opportunity to discuss different genres. This week, I wanted to talk about YA contemporary novels because it is a genre that I have recently discovered that I really enjoy reading. My favorite thing about this genre is the real subject matter that they deal with. I remember being in high school and what it was like and I love that this genre is so true to that. High school has bullies, high school has troubled teens, high school has pressure for drugs and sex. Authors of this genre take real problems faced by young adults and write incredible fictional stories on how they are overcome. Because the topics in these novels are so real, it makes it so much easier for me to get into the story and really feel for the characters. I feel like they give the readers an opportunity to really connect with the story because they are real topics that many people have faced and overcome. This is a new genre for me that I have found a passion for. 

A few of my favorite YA Contemporary novels:



That is my two cents on the genre. What about you? Do you like YA contemporary novels? What are some your favorites in this genre?


Next week's topic: Discussing Genres- Dystopian Novels

6 comments:

  1. I love contemp YA, I think because its so easy to identify. Also so much is changing and so quickly and you are choosing paths that will change the course of your life so it's a really interesting period to read about. I still have to read Pushing the Limits but loved Dare you To. Hopeless is my favourite contem YA so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally loving YA the contemporary for same reasons. I loved Pushing the Limits as much as Dare You To.

      Delete
  2. I am normally on one extreme or the other. I loved Pushing the Limits, You look Different in Real Life, and Love you hate you miss you. They are all great contemporaries! Other times I have problems because some contemporaries have cliche and overused characters and plots.

    Great post :) Emily @ Counting in Bookcases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree that some characters and situations can get too cliche. I haven't read You Look Different in Real LIfe and Love You, Hate You, Miss You but I will need to check those out.

      Delete
  3. You are killing me with these drink pictures!!!

    Yep, I LOVE YA contemporary. It's definitely one of my favorite genres. I <3 Slammed and Hopeless (duh, these books are the BEST :)
    And I also enjoyed First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky and The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski.
    Oh, and I almost forgot, The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay!! Love that book SO much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You know you want to go to Starbucks right now and get one of these :-) Colleen is an amazing author. I LOVED The Edge of Never too. I will have to check out First Comes Love and The Sea of Tranquility. Thanks for the recommendations.l

      Delete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!