Thursday, May 30, 2013

Armchair BEA Day 3: Literary Fiction


This topic is a tough one for me because I am more of a genre fiction reader. I read a lot of Indie author books and new adult novels that are less known outside of the blogging community.

What books have you read this year that would fit into this category?

I haven't read a lot of books this year that would be considered literary fiction. However, I did read Divergent and Insurgent. I also have The Fault in Our Stars but I haven't started reading it yet. I also just picked up Inferno by Dan Brown


Is there anything coming up that you're particularly excited about?

I usually don't become familiar with a new literary fiction book until it is released. Now that I am a blogger, I am a lot more aware of books before their release date. Off the top of my head, I would have to go with Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I am really excited to see how the trilogy plays out and ends.



What authors/novels would you recommend to someone new to the genre?

Authors that I can think of for this category would be J.K. Rowling, Dan Brown, John Green, Veronica Roth, Suzanne Collins. 

Are there any misconceptions or things that you'd like to clear up for people unfamiliar with literary fiction?

A misconception of literary fiction that I had myself was that they were all classics. However, doing this post, I have learned that it is more about books that have made an impact on the literary world whether they are classics or not. A few books I have read in the past include The Help, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, The DaVinci Code.


13 comments:

  1. I agree, literary fiction can be a contemporary. I love the Divergent series, and I really look forward to Allegiant as well :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :) I hope you'll have lots more Armchair BEA fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of literary fiction, I think of books that are a bit "heavier" in terms of character development and that have a lyrical prose to them. It's interesting to see how different people define it. Hope you continue to enjoy Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tanya boughtflowerMay 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

    I am a total literary book snob. Having admitted that can I say that I don't think Dan Brown makes the literary fiction cut? That is not to say that I won't read Inferno, but it just seems so popular. Which begs the question can fiction be literary and popular at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, I welcome your opinion and feedback :-) As I mentioned, I am not a big literary fiction reader so it is nice to learn something from someone with more knowledge and experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, it is definitely interesting to see what others consider literary fiction, especially for me since I am not that knowledgeable in it myself. I hope you enjoy too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really excited to see how Veronica Roth finishes out the trilogy. I felt like The Hunger Games fizzled out in Mockingjay so I am excited to see how this one ends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really think Harry Potter had a huge impact on so many people's lives. I don't even want to imagine how many children would have never started reading if it wasn't for JK Rowling - she really has done her part to make this world a bit better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your definition that they are books that had a literary impact. HP, The Hunger Games and Divergent def qualify then in my eyes. All were ground breaking, unique and had great character development.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed Mockingjay, too, but I have very high expectations for Allegiant :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harry Potter is definitely a big one. I definitely agree that J.K. Rowling has mad the world a little better, well said :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely agree, they are all books that really stand out and made an impact on me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meg-A Bookish AffairMay 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM

    Oh man, I still need to read Insurgent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yes, you definitely need to :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!