Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review: Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker

Ten Tiny Breaths
Author: K.A. Tucker
Publisher: Atria Books


Four years after losing her parents, best friend, and boyfriend in a drunk driving accident, twenty-year-old Kacey Cleary runs away to begin a new life in Miami. Hardened by the tragedy, she's determined to keep everyone at a distance—until she meets an irresistible and mysterious neighbor who is determined to melt the ice over her heart.
**********************

Ten Tiny Breaths was a very enjoyable read for me. I was very intrigued by this book from the very beginning and eager to keep reading. I have really been into contemporary novels lately and this book didn't disappoint.

I really liked Kacey as a female lead. She had clearly been through a lot in the last few years and was still haunted by the accident. She was so passionate about her sister and would do anything to take care of her. She always put Livie first, even when she should be putting herself first. She was also really bad ass and I loved how she handled herself around men, especially Trent, even though he was the only guy that could get through her tough exterior. I also really liked Storm and I loved that she was such a contradiction, being a walking barbie on the exterior but being a really smart and amazing person on the inside. She was able to break through to Kacey and help her learn to let others in again. It was obvious that Kacey had a lot of lingering issues and it was a matter of time before she hit her breaking point before she got help. I kept wondering when that would happen and what or who would trigger it.

Even though I was enjoying the book, I felt like it was going to be a predictable read where the girl is damaged and the perfect guy comes along and makes her whole again. However, I was then punched in the face by the author with a shocker that I, personally, was not expecting. The author did such an amazing job of completely throwing me off and blowing my expectations out of the water. I am impressed with how well written this book was, how interesting and surprising the plot was and how well the ending was done. I was definitely left satisfied and entertained. I am looking forward Livie's story in One Tiny Lie, coming in June.
**********************
Favorite Quote:

"I never understood. What the hell does a tiny breath do? Why not a deep breath? Why ten? Why not three or five or twenty? I'd scream and she'd simply smile her little smile. I didn't understand then. I do now." ~Kacey (Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker)


IPOD Picks:
"Count on Me" by Bruno Mars
"Save Yourself" by James Morrison
"All This Time" by One Republic



Sources:
Synopsis: Goodreads
Cover Photo: Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. I think this one sounds great, love that there is a sucker punch in it. So good when an author can do this. I'm loving contemp too right now so its on my to-buy list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't been quite this shocked by a turn of events in a while.

      Delete
    2. I suspected the twist but it did go far deeper than I expected and was a great way to go with the plot. So happy you enjoyed it : )

      Delete
    3. I wondered if I was completely oblivious but I just didn't see it coming :-)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds so good! I love it when the author is able to surprise me. I'm going to have to read this one soon. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I feel like I have read so many predictable books lately that when I am surprised, I love it.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!