Saturday, May 4, 2013

Saturday @ Starbucks #9: Discussing Male vs Female POV with a Flavored Latte

Saturday @ Starbucks is a weekly feature hosted by Starbucks & Books Obsession.


To join in, just re-post the topic and  link back to the host. Grab a cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate and do a post on the topic.

This week's topic is:
Discussing Male vs Female POV with a Flavored Latte

Drink of the week: Vanilla Skinny Latte
Sometimes there is nothing better than a simple latte. However, for me, I need a little sweetness in there. I am normally all about caramel because that is my flavor but I like to change it up every once and a while so this week I am going with vanilla.


Book Topic: Discussing Male vs Female POV

I thought that this week would be a good one to do a discussion topic. A topic I have been thinking a lot about recently is the difference in a male vs female POV. Since I read a lot of young adult and romance novels written by female authors, I tend to read a lot more from the female perspective. However, since I have recently started reading a lot of new adult, I have been getting a lot more male POV scenes. I have to admit that I love it. I am almost more in love with the male POV than I am with the female in these books. There is just something different in a guy's mind that makes reading from their perspective a lot more entertaining. I am impressed with how well written these scenes are coming from female authors.

I think that since female authors are mostly writing these male POV scenes, they have to be done right to capture the reader's attention and keep them riveted. Because a male mind is so different than a female's mind, and many of these books are written in dual POV, the author really has to differentiate between the characters to keep the story interesting. If the male POV isn't written right, I can't connect with them and I don't enjoy the story as much. For instance, I loved Kaleb in Hourglass when he was written from Emerson's point of view. However, Timepiece was written in Kaleb's point of view and I didn't connect with his character or like him nearly as much. On the opposite end, I loved Will in Slammed from Layken's point of view, but loved him even more in Point of Retreat and This Girl, which were both written from his point of view. 

In the end, I think I enjoy a male point of view better than a female point of view when done right by the author and I have found a lot of New Adult novels where the author has really nailed it for me. 

What about you? What POV do you like better? What do you think of the dual POV style in New Adult books?

A few of my favorite male POV characters

Noah from Pushing the Limits (Katie McGarry)


Colton from Falling Into You (Jasinda Wilder)



Next week's topic: Discussing Genres- Young Adult Contemporary

10 comments:

  1. Male POV. Always throws me off. Usually takes me time to adjust to it. Your drink today sounds delish!
    trish @ tales from ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see how that would happen. For some reason, I love getting into the mind of those guys :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I sure could use a latte right about now. Maybe when I go into the city this week. :D I don't really have a have a preference. The male POV's that I have read have been really great. And sometimes I have found that is refreshing to see things through their eyes. Enjoy your day..

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are going into the city, you must stop for a Starbucks, I insist on it :-) I totally agree, the male POV can be so refreshing and I have found that I am sometimes enjoying it more than the female. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  3. This feature kills me, my nearest Starbucks is 3 hours away and now I want one so bad!
    I really enjoy male POV as long as it sounds authentic. Retelling the same story from both pov's is fun and a nice twist in a story. However I think I prefer male POV when its written by a man though, then I feel I'm getting a proper insight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 hours! I think I would die :-) It definitely has to sound authentic. I can't get into the character if it doesn't.

      Delete
  4. I love Male POVs and I especially love Skinny Vanilla Lattes : ) I do question how realistic male povs are though when written by a girl. I wish there were more male authors out there and they would team up with woman authors and write books together! That would be ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I don't know that they are super realistic but I love the way female authors do it. I would love to read more from male/female authors too. I think that would be great!

      Delete
  5. Generally, I enjoy male POV more than female. But my favorite male pov books are the ones written by male authors. But I have yet to find a new adult book that's not written by a female author...

    I loved Slammed and enjoyed Will's POV in Point of Retreat. But Colleen Hoover is such a fantastic author she nails everything she does :)

    Starbucks <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read a New Adult by a male author. I haven't found any yet but would be very curious to see how I would like it. I absolutely love Colleen Hoover. She definitely nails everything she does.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!