Friday, May 31, 2013

Armchair BEA Day 4: Ethics & Non-Fiction


Topic 1: Ethics

Ethics is something that is very important to me personally and I think it carries over into everything you do. As someone who works in finance on a daily basis, I understand ethics and the importance of making ethical decisions. I think whether you are a blogger for a living or a blogger for fun, it is always important to be ethical and give credit where it is due. It is also important to be honest and make sure your readers have all of the facts. I have only been blogging for 3 months now and I am pretty sure that I have not been plagiarized  and I have never plagiarized from someone else. Here are a few things I do to try and make sure I run an ethical and honest blog.

* I write all of my own reviews, 100% from my own thoughts and mind. I generally don't read someone else's review of a book until I have read and reviewed it myself. I would never intentionally use someone else's work but this makes me feel more comfortable.

* I disclose in my review policy that some books I read and review may be provided to me by the publisher and author but all opinions are honest and 100% my own. I also disclose in the review, if the books was provided to me and who provided it.

* I use Goodreads for all cover photos and the synopsis I provide for my review and I cite them as a source at the bottom of my review.

* I don't use a lot of pics outside of book covers but if I do, I cite the source or use my own photos.

Topic 2: Non-Fiction

I will admit that I am not really much of non-fiction reader. I love the fantasy world that fiction takes me into and that is one of the reasons I love to read so much. However, I do read non-fiction once in a while and usually when I do, I love to read true crime. True crime fascinates me and in another life, I think I could have been a criminal psychologist because I really want to know what makes them do what they do. How could they commit such crimes or acts against other humans? When true crime is concerned, I absolutely love Ann Rule. She is from the Seattle area and writes a lot of her true crime novels based on crimes in Washington. She also used to be a police officer so she has the credibility and the knowledge. 



7 comments:

  1. In Cold Blood by Capote is what I consider the best true crime nonfiction book EVER :) If you haven't read it you totally should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you for the recommendation! I have been wanting to read that one for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all the points you made about ethics! And I'm the same way, I don't read reviews of books before my own review is written and posted.

    I cite Goodreads as a source for my cover photos in the footer on my blog, where I also state that I sometimes recieve free ARCs in exchange of an honest review.

    And I'm also with you on the non-fiction, I don't read a lot of it, but I have enjoyed the books I have read. I may also add The Stranger Beside Me to my TBR :)

    Happy reading, and thanks for stopping by my Armchair BEA non-fiction and ethics post earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer HartlingJune 1, 2013 at 6:58 AM

    You're welcome :) It's a great read and I hope you find the time for it. I know how it goes. Sooo many books and so little time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea Ann Rule was from the Seattle area. And yes on her books. They are good!

    This discussion on ethics has been great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really good idea, to put the disclosure and the Goodreads source on the footer. You should definitely read it, it is a very good book. She actually worked as a volunteer with Ted Bundy. Creepy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Yeah, she lives on Whidbey Island I believe. She is an amazing writer for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!