Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Review: Tragic by J.A. Huss

I have a few other books I finished earlier this week that I need to post reviews for but I absolutely LOVED this book and since it has become a new favorite of mine, I felt the desire to post my review immediately.

Tragic
Author: J.A. Huss
Publication Date: May 20, 2013


Rook Walsh is TRAGIC

Because life so far – just sucks. Some girls get parents. Rook got the foster care system. Some girls get Prince Charming. Rook got an abusive frog. Some girls get lucky…

Rook got a second chance.

And she took it. Because when fate throws you a bone – you grab it with both hands and run.

Antoine Chaput knows the minute he spies Rook in his photography studio that she’s got The Look. The dark and desperate look he must have to land the exclusive TRAGIC media contract.

Rook is paired up with top model, Ronin, and he’s everything her abusive ex-boyfriend wasn’t. Patient, gentle, happy, attentive, and sexy! He knows exactly what to do to make Rook blush for Antoine’s camera. 

Rook’s luck changes in an instant and suddenly she’s the darling of the modeling world. It’s a dream job to go with a dream guy and all she has to do is look pretty and follow directions. But there’s always a price to pay – and Rook is about to get the bill.


*Mature Content* Recommended for ages 17+ due to sexual situations and language usage
**********************

~Review~
I devoured this book. From the minute I read the first page, I couldn't put this thing down. I loved Rook & Ronin, I loved the plot, and I loved the writing. I absolutely adored the sexual banter and flirting between Rook & Ronin and they make for one steamy couple.

Rook was a really amazing female character and I loved that she took charge of her life and she didn't let her past completely control her. She was in a tough situation and she did what she had to do to get by. Some of her good fortune was luck but most of it was her being brave enough to take chances and do what was necessary. She still has trust issues but she doesn't let her past experience get in the way. The TRAGIC campaign was a really intense experience for her and she handled herself like a pro, especially in situations that would have made someone else who has been through her past an emotional wreck. She felt things with Ronin that she had never experienced before and I think that scared her because she never wanted to be the position she was before.

Ronin was instantly intrigued by Rook and wanted to know her. He was sensitive to her and to the fact that she had been through a tough situation. Ronin was a really amazing partner for Rook in the TRAGIC campaign. I don't think she would have been able to get through some of her situations if she didn't have Ronin there to coach her through. He came across as a little controlling and demanding to Rook but I think that was because of her past. He definitely knew how to push through the walls that she built and wedge his way in.

The plot in this book was very intriguing, well written and well built. I really liked the tough topic that the author chose use in the story and how she handled it. Rook's past was shrouded in enough mystery that I was eagerly anticipating the moment she told her whole story but it wasn't a complete mystery so I was able to better understand her thoughts and actions. I loved that because if she made irrational decisions,they made more sense to me since I knew where she was coming from.

I loved the setting of this novel and the story the author was able to build around the topic of Erotic Art Modeling. I am a sucker for books that make me blush and this one definitely had my cheeks flushing rosy red. This ending was done really well and I felt satisfied with the conclusion, while still left anticipating the next book. I CANNOT wait until Manic comes out in August.


~Quote~

"If I spoke the language of his eyes, I'd know for certain, but I'm at a loss with this guy. I'm fumbling around in the dark trying not to look or act like a complete child and I hope I'm not wrong about my guess, but those eyes looked like they wanted to touch every part of my body." ~Rook (Tragic by J.A. Huss)






~IPOD Picks~

"Arms" by Christina Perri
"Broken Strings" by James Morrison
"Ships in the Night" by Matt Kearney
"I Need Your Love" by Ellie Goulding & Calvin Harris




Sources

Synopsis: Goodreads

Cover Photo: Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this book!!!! It was so good!! And that's also why I loved Rook's character, she refused to let her past control her. And that is such a hard thing to do.
    Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am so glad other people loved this book as much as I did! She could easily have run scared but she did what she had to do for herself and I admired that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the cover around, but didn't know that it was about Erotic Art Modeling! Now I want to read it! Also, I love me some steamy romance :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! I am definitely adding this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! This was a great book. I hope you enjoy it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The setting was an erotic art modeling studio and I loved it. This is definitely a must read :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!