Monday, March 11, 2013

Review: Delirium

Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins



They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever

And I've always believed them.

Until now.

Now everything has changed.

Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love

***************************************************
I was a little disappointed with Delirium. I had heard a lot of people say that Delirium was really good and my expectations were pretty high. I felt like the book was really slow, especially in the beginning and I struggled to really get into the story. I took me all the way to 60% through the book to really get into it. Also, I didn't really like Lena that much. I felt like she was really stiff and uptight, even after she had already fallen in love and broken all the rules. She is supposed to be the heroine of the story but I didn't feel like she really evolved. I think I liked Hana better than Lena. However, I loved Alex! He was sweet and charming and supportive of Lena. 

I did like the author's writing style and I felt like the book was very well written. Lauren Oliver did a great job of creating a different type of dystopian world. I liked the theme of the book and the idea that love creates chaos but it's worth it because living life without love is not really living at all.

Even though I was a little disappointed in Delirium, it had a heartbreaking cliffhanger and I plan to finish the series in hopes that the pace of the story will pick up and captivate me.


IPOD Picks:
"Stay" by Rihanna
"Daylight" by Maroon Five
"I Will Wait" by Mumford & Sons
"It's Time" by Imagine Dragons



Sources:
  Cover Photo- Goodreads
  Synopsis-Goodreads

8 comments:

  1. Great review and I agree completely. I did read a short fiction Delirium 1.5 story about Hana even after I swore that I wouldn't continue with this series. I was glad that I did, I like Hana better than Lena, too. The end of Delirium felt like THE END, didn't it? I thought Alex was the best thing about Lena. I'm still reading Lauren Oliver's work. I really did enjoy Before I Fall, very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about reading the Hana story. I will have to check that one out. I really liked her. Alex was definitely the best thing about her. I know I have to finish them to see how it all ends, I just hope that the story moves a little faster in the next 2.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't identify with Lena either. But then I read Pandemonium and flipped. The author improved sooo much. It was night and day O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that. I am just starting Pandemonium so I hope I can change my mind about Lena.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I don't like MC's that are hard to like. I have this one on my shelf and for some reason I keep putting it off. I think it is because of the hype, like you said-it gives great expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of the book and the author's writing so I am hoping that Lena evolves through out the series. It is hard when you don't like the MC.

      Delete
  4. Dude. You just named all my favorite songs! I am actually jamming out to them in the car right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That is awesome, you have good taste in music :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!