Sunday, March 3, 2013

Review: Matched Trilogy


Matched, Crossed & Reached
Author: Ally Condie          
Publisher: Penguin Group Inc.



I spent all weekend finishing The Matched Trilogy because I needed to know how it all ended. I have had the books on my "to read" list for a while but had received mixed reviews from friends on the books. I finally decided to go for it and check them out for myself. I enjoyed the books but they were definitely different from what I expected.

I was expecting more of a love story but to me the book was more about the ability to make choices and freedom. The Society thought that taking away people's ability to choose would create a more perfect world and while it eliminated disease and illness, was it really worth it? Cassia, Xander and Ky discovered what it would be like to have the ability to choose and is shaped who they would become and choices they would make.

I hate love triangles because I become attached to all the characters and I hate it when one of them is left behind. I sympathized with Cassia because she loved both Xander and Ky, but in different ways, and she didn't want to hurt either but could not help how she felt. Ky and Xander were different in so many ways but they both loved Cassia and would do anything to keep her safe, which is something they had in common. There were many times, especially in the third book, that my heart broke for each of them. In the end, I was happy with the choice that Cassia made and how it all worked out for each of them. I felt like the beginning of each book started out a little slow because I expected the books to be all about the love story but they were about so much more. I would definitely recommend these books but tell people to not expect it to revolve around the love triangle between the three main characters. Go into the books understanding that it is about the ability to choose and what you would do to have that option.


 IPOD Picks:
"Catching My Breath" by Kelly Clarkson
"Anything Can Happen" by Ellie Goulding
"Impossible" by Shontelle
"Open Arms" by Journey
"We Found Love" by Rihanna & Calvin Harris

4 comments:

  1. Great review of the series. Love the iPod picks. I read the first two books but have yet to finish the series. I'll have to pick it up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kayla! Along with Starbucks and books, I also love music so I love being able to relate songs from my ipod to the books I read. You should definitely finish the series and decide if you agree with her choice in the end. My friend and I disagreed so I would love to know how others feel.

      Delete
  2. Great review. I'm glad that it doesn't simply revolve around JUST the love triangle. I'm tired of love triangles especially when I like all three characters and you KNOW that for one of them, it will be unrequited. /sigh.

    Soon as I finish my currently reading list, I am going to pick these up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! I agree with you on love triangles. You fall in love with all 3 characters so your heart breaks for the one that isn't chosen.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!